Jaisalmer Travel Guide – Facts, Attraction & Information
The medieval tradition center and today’s center of desert tourism, the Golden City Jaisalmer is the dominating spot of attractions of Rajasthan. There is no better place than Jaisalmer to enjoy an exotic vacation with fort exploration, desert activities, camping, and desert adventure experience and so on. The narrow streets of the city ending up in sandstone havelis and exclusive structures make it a wonderful vacation for your sight and soul.
Airport – Jodhpur airport
Best time to visit – From November to end of March
Distance from Delhi – 818 km
Top attractions to cover in Jaisalmer
- Jaisalmer Fort – 12th century yellow sandstone fort famous for 99 turrets, exploration and others.
- Bada Bagh – this ‘Huge Garden’ of 16th century is famous for great view of sunrise and sunset, ancient memorials and others.
- Patwonki Haveli – A large haveli consisting of five buildings. One of them is a museum, one holds a large collection of craft works and the rest are set in the same décor as it was several centuries ago
- Sam sand dune – desert region for safari, camping, adventure activities and others
- Thar heritage museum – holds sea fossils of million years, ancient manuscripts, weapon collections, weapons and much more.
- Gadisar Lake – 14th century artificial lake, which holds many temples, chattris, carved entrance and others.
- Nathmalki Haveli – This brilliant haveli is famous for carvings, ancient paintings and beautiful architecture
- Jain temple – 12th century temple famous for distinctive structure, carvings and serene environment.
- Kuldhara – ruins of an ancient city, famous for adventure strolling
Best Way To Reach Jaisalmer
There is an airport in Jaisalmer, but it is not open for commercial flights. You can find direct flights to Jodhpur from many major cities of the country like Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore and others. From Jodhpur, it would take five hours to reach Jaisalmer via car. Jaisalmer has good train connectivity and even has Palace on Wheels and other luxury trains commuting to it. You can check the photo gallery for Palace on Wheels , Jaisalmer. You can also find buses, cabs and trains frequently from many major destinations to Jaisalmer.
Cuisine Of The Land
Top dishes to try here are :
- Mutton saag
- Gate kisabzi
- Murg e subz
- Dal batichoorma
What To Buy In Jaisalmer?
- Manak Chowk – clothing, leather items, handicraft items and others.
- Pansari bazaar – handicrafts, home décor items, puppets and others
- Sonaronka Baas – silver articles, jewels, accessories and others
- Bhatia bazaar – fabrics
- Sadar bazaar – paintings, shoes, handicraft, carpets and others
Things To Do In Jaisalmer
- Desert safari, camping, paragliding, camel rides and others in the sand dunes
- Puppet show at museum
- Picnic, boat riding and other activities near Gadisar Lake
- Visit the Indo-Pakistan border
Festivals of Jaisalmer
- Sheetla Ashtmi of March
- Gangaur of March – April
- Teej of September
- Ramdeora festival of August – September
- Dussehra of October
- Desert festival of February