Tips for Making a Healthy Meal for Your Dog
As a part of your family, your dog deserves the best in life, including his meal. That’s why you should teach yourself a few new tips on how to keep your furry friend healthy and strong. It’s not easy to give your dog foods that can meet Fido’s nutrition needs. You may have to take a lot of dedication. Let’s take a look at this post to get some tips on how to make a healthy meal for your pet.
Think about a good recipe first
The food you make your dog should meet all of the dog’s nutritional needs. More importantly, the meal you make is complete and balanced. We recommend you to choose a recipe created by an expert in dog nutrition. If have any problem, you can ask your vet for a help. Then, you can get the right direction. It’s essential to make your dog a meal with protein, carbohydrates, and fat. Also, don’t forget to feed him calcium as well as essential fatty acids. If your dog suffers from a health problem, you may have to give him a special diet. You should ask a pet nutrient expert for a help in making custom recipes.
How to Make Balanced Homemade Dog Foods
Meat and Other Animal Products
Make sure these products make up at least half of your dog’s diet. Avoid feeding your dog diets that are high in fat, otherwise, he will become obese. Even, your dog may get deficiencies of other required nutrients. If your dog doesn’t get regular exercise, you should use lean meats instead of separable fat.
Raw Meaty Bones
They should make up about 1/3 the total of your dog’s diet. You can feed your dog bony parts as backs and chicken necks, or even chicken thighs. However, remember that you can’t feed your dog cooked bones.
They include poultry meat as well as red meat. It’s best to choose heart because this choice is lean with the lower cost than other muscle meats.
This is essential to provide your pet vitamin D. You can consider choosing canned fish with bones as jack mackerel, sardines, or pink salmon. However, remember not to feed your dog trout, raw Pacific salmon, as well as related species.
Another important thing is the liver. It should make up 5% on your dog’s diet. It’s best to feed your dog beef liver for nutrition. You need to give him small amounts of liver daily.
By adding eggs to your dog’s meal, he can get highly nutritious addition. If you have a dog at 20 pounds of weight, you can provide a whole egg every day, and vice versa, give less to smaller ones.
You should choose plain yogurt or kefir. They are suitable for most dogs to tolerate. In addition, you can also consider ricotta cheese and cottage. It’s not a good idea to use other forms of cheese because they are rich in fat.
Fruits and Vegetables
They are important for providing your dog with fiber that is essential for his digestive health. Also, they offer antioxidants as well as other beneficial nutrients for his longevity. We recommend you to choose deeply colored vegetables as well as fruits. Indeed, they normally provide the most nutritious.
In order to keep weight on skinny dogs, you can provide them with veggies like sweet potatoes, potatoes, or winter squashes. They ensure to give your pet carbohydrate calories. However, don’t feed overweight dogs too much. It’s important to cook starchy foods so that your dog can digest.
There are many choices for you, including berries, bananas, papaya, apples, and melon. Besides, there are also some options you should avoid such as raisins and grapes. They can lead to failure in dogs.
For some dogs, grains may cause allergies, inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis, and other issues. They can also lead to digestive problems for certain dogs. But, some other dogs love grains. It’s best to cook all grain well before feeding your dog.
Supplements for Your dog at Home
Besides natural food for dogs, dog owners also need to give their dog some supplements. Here is a list of essential supplements to choose:
If you don’t feed your dog RMBs, you need to add him calcium in his diet. He requires 800 to 1,000 mg calcium per pound of food. Even, you can use powder of eggshells. It actually offers 1,000 mg calcium.
For homemade diets, don’t forget to add oils for fat as well as calories. More importantly, consider choosing the right types of oils.
- Fish Oil: This oil is great for regulating the immune system as well as reducing inflammation because it contains omega-3 fatty acids, DHA, and EPA.
- Cod Liver Oil: This oil can be able to give your dog 400 IUs vitamin D daily. If you want to increase the amount of EPA as well as DHA, you can use it with other fish oil.
- Plant Oils: In order to provide linoleic acid, consider using corn, walnut, vegetable, or hempseed. You can also use olive oil for small amounts of omega-6 if needed. Use coconut oil for mostly saturated fats. But, it can’t be used to replace other oils.
Vitamins and Minerals
- Vitamin E: In fact, all homemade diets are lack of vitamin E. So, owners need to supplement with oils in order to add more vitamin E. However, don’t give your dog too much vitamin E. It’s best to give your dog 1 to 2 IUs per pound per day.
- Iodine: It makes some efects in thyroid function. As a pet owner, you should give your dog about 300 mcg daily for a dog at a weight of 50 pounds.
- Green Blends: Mention to green blends, you can use alfalfa and various herbs. They are extremely useful if you don’t use many green vegetables in a diet of your dog. Also, it’s a good idea to use a mixture of vegetables and alfalfa.
In conclusion, we just want to say your dog can get many benefits from homemade dog food. You can do it by a number of ways. Especially, you need to pay attention to your pet when he gets allergies, skin problems, or gastrointestinal sensitivity. Last, treat your furry friend as you will do for any of other family members. He deserves it.